Chronicle of B+K
The family-owned company Bischof + Klein can look back at a corporate history spanning 125 years. The company was initially involved in printing books and art. Due to rising demand for paper sacks by the domestic cement and lime industry, B+K also moved into this business field. The first hand-made paper sack left the company in 1922. The decision in favour of plastic at the beginning of the 60s contributed significantly towards B+K's developing to become a leading European full-service supplier of flexible plastic and paper packaging.
1892 On September 1st 1892, Alwin Klein founded "Papierfabrik und Prägeanstalt Bischof & Klein" together with Hermann Bischof. Production was initially carried out in the barn belonging to goldsmith Heinrich Hölscher in Bahnhofstraße 2 in Lengerich.
1922 Packaging production began with hand-made paper sacks.
1924 Book and art publishing house products remained the core business.
1928 The "stepped bottom sack" revolutionises mechanical paper sack production.
1929 Small-sized paper packaging and newspaper printing round off the range.
1950 Expansion of the production of small paper packaging.
1951 Book production is promoted.
1952 Flexographic and gravure printing processes promote consumer packaging.
1959 B+K-Konzell - a new plant is established.
1963 Plastic processing in its infancy.
1969 Foundation of WERRA PLASTIC.
1974 Establishment of a European sales organisation.
1976 The first foreign production plant - stake in Belgium's Manusac paper sack factory.
1978 The plastic packaging division is expanded.
1980 Surface protection films - a new product is created.
1981 B+K (UK) - production of "flexible packaging made in Great Britain" is launched.
1983 Consumer packaging set to grow.
1984 to 2007 Co-ownership interests are hold by other companies (max. 40 %)
1985 "We are environmentally active" - environmental protection becomes part of corporate philosophy.
1990 Certification of a quality management system according to DIN EN ISO 9000 ff.
1993 Acquisition of a stake in SOLEM, Luxembourg.
Acquisition of a stake in NAPIAG Kunststoffe, Austria.
1994 Foundation of LSL.
1995 Frantschach AG (today Mondi Packaging) becomes co-owner.
1999 Acquisition of a stake in Huecopack, Spain, foundation of B+K Belgium and foundation of B+K Polska. Withdrawal from the publishing business.
2000 Start-up of B+K Middle East Co.
2001 New subsidiary B+K France SPA - take-over of Sacherie de Pont Audemer (SPA).
2004 New clean room production facility for the "CleanFlex®" product line. The Konzell plant is certified according to BRC/IoP for the first time. B+K Polska and B+K MEC are certified according to DIN EN ISO 9000 ff for the first time.
2007 Buy-back of external Co-ownership interests - Bischof + Klein becomes a 100% family-owned company again.
2009 50 years Bischof + Klein Konzell, Bavaria
2010 "Living Sustainability" - Symposium and Open Day at B+K Lengerich
2012 120 years Bischof + Klein
2014 Winner of the German Federal Government's CSR prize in the "500 – 4,999 employees" category.
2017 Bischof + Klein celebrates 125 years as a family-owned company.